Skip to main content
Contact Us ✉

Armour Research Foundation photos, 1951-1964

 Collection
Identifier: 031.08.03
Photos (4x5" black & white contact prints; most mounted on index cards) of Armour Research Foundation and Illinois Institute of Technology activities primarily documenting research and laboratory experiments. Identifications are generally included. Negatives are available for most images.
  1. See 1998.276 Collection Inventory Record for photograph index.

Dates

  • 1951-1964

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Available for Research

Collection Size

113 Images

Biographical Note

Armour Research Foundation (ARF) was one of the first private, not-for-profit contract research laboratories in the United States. Begun in Chicago in 1936 by Armour Institute of Technology (AIT), ARF was acquired by Illinois Institute of Technology in 1940 when IIT was created by the merger of AIT and Lewis Institute. Re-named Armour Research Foundation of Illinois Institute of Technology, it was later reorganized as the IITRI (IIT Research Institute). Under all its iterations, the laboratory conducted research for commercial and government sources, expanding to an international operation. Recently (2002), significant portions of the operation were sold with IIT retaining the life sciences department which continues to operate at the location on IIT's campus.

Provenance

Formerly 1998.276

Related Material

see record group 031

Processor

Catherine Bruck, University Archivist

Part of the Paul V. Galvin Library. University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
35 West 33rd Street
Chicago IL 60616
(312) 567-5993