Camp Armour collection, 1955
Color film titled Armour Summer Camp of Illinois Institute of Technology produced by the Visual Education Department (F. Lundgren, director; photography by John Butkus) and presented by the Alumni Association of IIT; ca. 1955; 26 min. Silent, but with section titles and brief text to introduces scenes that follow. Scenes include shots of the landscape (lake and forest), students and faculty holding class outdoors, conducting experiments, learning to use equipment, construction a tower, and a field trip to a State Forestry site. Also shows recreation and social activities including meals, swimming, volleyball, fishing, and the camp mascot - a deer. Includes 1998.47.1 Original 16 mm film; 935 ft. 1998.47.2 Digital Betacam master 1998.47.3-.5 3 VHS cassettes (copies from master)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Available for Research
The VHS copy is available for viewing in IIT Archives only.
Harold Bretz was an Illinois Institute of Technology faculty member, 1957 to 1986 and Associate Dean of the Graduate School, (ca. 1969 - 86). From 1958 - 1963, Bretz acted as Camp Administrator at Camp Armour, IIT's civil engineering camp on Upper Trout Lake, Wisconsin. He lived in campus faculty housing, apartment 701 Cunningham Hall. Camp Armour was operated from ca. 1905 to 1963 by the Civil Engineering Department at Armour Institute of Technology and Illinois Institute of Technology to teach surveying classes during a summer session. The original location was in Michigan; from 1914 on it was located on Upper Trout Lake in Wisconsin on property purchased by AIT. Classes were taught by Dr. A. E. Phillips, Prof. Wells, and Prof. John Penn. The camp ceased operation in 1963 and the site was sold in 1966.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist